Sunday, December 18, 2011

Damn You Timeline!

If you haven't used Timeline on Facebook, I HIGHLY suggest you use it first and go through your entire time, so that you will empathize with what happened to me.
So, Timeline basically recounts everything you've ever done on Facebook.

Every comment.  Every like.  Every major event.  Every relationship.  Every friend.  Every love.

It's a bit to take in.  There were two parts that were particularly troubling, mostly because of pain of love lost and nostalgia for beautiful moments in life.

The first, whom shall remain nameless, was someone I dated my freshman year.  We dated almost the entire year until it ended in flames, but we've since reconciled.  It was great to see how we started, how we both changed for better and for worse, and ultimately how it ended.  There was a lot of growth for both of us, and definitely a LOT of good and bad times.  It was nice to see all the times we would post cutesy/cheesy things on each other's walls, comment on statuses or just like things simply to show affection for one another.

She was a really big deal, she defined my first real adult relationship and set the tone for who I needed to be as an adult in a relationship and what I should look for in a significant other.

The second, whom also shall remain nameless, was more recent in my life.  She came into my life at the very end of last year at Snow.  I always knew who she was, was always attracted to her, but never talked to her until one fateful night where conditions were just perfect.  Long story short, we ended up together and it was amazing, in fact, it was probably one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Through Timeline, it showed me a lot of little things that she did that I really really liked.  In fact, she showed me what little things matter to me in a significant other, such as calling each other "babe" or taking interest in things that I liked even if she didn't.  Of course, there was liking of statuses and commenting and flirting and all that fun stuff.  Whereas the first girl helped define me, this one helped define what I want in a future love.

I guess what I am saying is that Timeline is great because it really is the ultimate form of self reflection.  After all, in the age we live in, we live out our lives on Facebook, and Facebook knows us better than anyone else.  Through Timeline, I've reflected a lot on how I've grown, how my interests have changed  and become more refined, and what I can do better for the future.  I will now end things with a quote:

"True love is your soul's recognition of its counterpoint in another.."
-Wedding Crashers

Thank you for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. Easily my favorite post. I seriously LOVE this. Well done :)
    Love ya Jer!

    ReplyDelete