Saturday, March 24, 2012

This is for Kellie

There is something to be said about someone who is hell-bent on saving you from your own destruction.

Kellie is one of my best friends.  We have a very interesting friendship, one filled with laughs, peril, mystery and adventure.

We met in our first year at Snow College.  It didn't start off great.  You see, Kellie is one of those people that makes fun of everyone and everything, in fact, my first year at Snow I hated her because every time I saw her she was mean or made fun of me.

Our second year, it changed a little and we became friends, but still with the making fun of.  I should mention that it eventually went both ways, where we now made fun of each other and we're both consistently mean.  It kinda formed the basis for a really great friendship you might say.

Our third year, Kellie and I started close as we were only a handful of third-year students, and we were leaders so we banded together to oppress the freshman.  We also started hanging out outside of class and playing Halo, and making brownies and other sorts of adventures and tomfoolery.

It was only natural for us to go to the same school, so we both went to the University of Utah.  At the U, we've both managed to have a pretty rotten time due to failed expectations, issues with transferring, politics, and just being miserable that we we're still in school after all this time and not anywhere near graduating.

Our fifth and final year has been pretty crazy.  We both feel like we are nearing our end of our school careers.  Today, Kellie had her senior recital, mine was a month ago.  Now that we've both completed that, we both feel like we are that much closer to finally finishing this quest to obtain that degree.

You see, what makes our friendship awesome is that we have been on the same journey for five long years.  Five years of music, laughs, friends, stupid classes, learning all the instruments, making fun of others, and complaining about the unfairness that is life.  We've made it through this journey together, just as we started.

Kellie is incredibly important to me, way more than I should ever let her know.  She really is very dear to me, and I'm grateful I've had her as a friend for all this time.  Without Kellie, truthfully, I probably would have dropped out a long time ago.  I feel like she is the only person that actually understands how I feel about school and music, and because she gets me I feel like we're closer because of it.  So Kellie, thank you for saving me from me, you are truly a one of a kind friend and I look forward to many, many long years of friendship.  Just, don't give up on me yet, because we still have to student teach, and I feel like we will need each other more than ever when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment