Sunday, September 30, 2012

Anecdotes and Happenings from Student Teaching! Week 4

I can't even believe I'm still doing this.  Haha.  I usually give up on things like this pretty easily but strangely enough, I find myself wanting to tell everyone about my experiences.  So here goes nothing.

It's Homecoming Week!


So as stated above, this week was Homecoming.  For those that can't remember what it their Homecoming week was like in High School, I shall provide you with a bit of a refresher.

Homecoming is like spirit week, but on crack.  Most schools go all out with trying to muster up school pride and do so with fun activities, football games, and of course the Homecoming Dance.  As a band teacher of all things, this didn't really change the way I did things.  However, what did change was the students' behavior, as they tended to be quite a bit more unruly this week than in past weeks.

The week started off fairly normally.  I spent a lot of time rehearsing both the Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band and have begun the process of finalizing what music will be played on the concert for both ensembles.  Todd and I also decided what we would both conduct so I spent a great deal of time studying and preparing scores so that I could make the most out of my rehearsals.


As you can see, my score resembles a coloring book; that is proof that I have studied the score.

So far we have decided on Amazing Grace (Tichelli) and English Folk Song Suite (Williams) for the Wind Ensemble with the Symphonic Band still up in the air as to repertoire.  Our library at WXHS has primarily Grade 4-6 and Grade 1-2 pieces for band, so it has been very difficult programming pieces appropriate for that group.  It doesn't help that most of the pieces that I know are Grade 4 and above so I've been doing a lot of research, listening and score study to try and learn more about our library.

Rehearsals this week went pretty well.  But, with the dance being at the week some of the kids were pretty out of control.  And this week we were even tougher on them, because Todd and I saw no reason for us to change our discipline policy just because it's Homecoming week.  Wind Ensemble in particular has been particularly unruly, mostly because they are all so sociable because they know each other.  Symphonic Band is pretty cliquey, mostly kids from the three middle schools that feed into WXHS.  Eventually, things will change but for now, I actually somewhat like working with them better.  It just goes more smoothly.

This week wasn't terribly exciting, not really more than any other week.  But the students were definitely excited for the dancing.  Most of the kids in the band are going with each other, and going in the same groups so that much hasn't changed from my high school experiences.  I asked them what they were doing for day activities, dinner, etc.  Most just had picnics planned or dinner at a parent's house.  I forgot how high school kids don't have any money haha.

Wednesday was the Homecoming Assembly where they announced the royalty, and the Jazz Band played for that.  And Friday morning the Jazz Band played in the main hall before school where we managed to get a sizeable crowd to watch us.  It was nice for the students to see and hear the jazz band up close like that.  The drumline played a pep rally on Thursday Night, which I could not attend, but I heard it went pretty well.

And finally Friday was another Football game, our Homecoming Game to be exact.  We played against Highland.  It didn't go very well.

Highland 14 -- 0 WXHS

Yeah, I know, we lost our Homecoming game.  Pretty sad day for the students, but the Pep Band had a great time at the game, and Todd and I were pretty relaxed with them and let them socialize a lot more than usual.  It was a great time.


Here's a video of the band playing "Land of a Thousand Dances"


So yeah, kind of an unexciting post.  Sorry, I tried my best to make it interesting but this week was pretty average.

But on the bright side, at least my student teaching is paying off somehow.


FREE SWAGG AND MERCH!!

Just kidding, but really though, it was free.  And the students love them.  More adventures next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment