Sunday, July 8, 2012

I'm getting sentimental over you.. Snow College

Yes, I am going to get super nostalgic over a college.
So today my roommate Jeremy and I, (yes I have a roommate named Jeremy) were tasked with cleaning our very gross, disgusting bathroom.  So we split up the work load: one person had the shower and tub, the other had the toilet, floors, mirror and counters.  I volunteered to take the shower and tub.  Whilst cleaning it reminded of my alma mater, Snow College.

While I was at Snow, I lived in the dorms, all three years.  At the end of every year the entire apartment would split up cleaning jobs and clean the shit out of their filthy, college kid apartment.  Every year I got stuck with the bathroom which as I did it more became less arduous of a task.  The most rewarding part about cleaning the bathroom was cleaning the tub and shower.  I felt like that was where the largest concentration of gross-ness was, so by cleaning it I was making a huge difference and the progress was much more clear.  As I was cleaning my tub in my apartment today, it reminded me of Snow and all those great times cleaning that bathroom.  That same bathroom actually.  I lived in the exact same dorm room for three years.

So this got me thinking about other Snow experiences and how much I miss it.  So in this post I will explain why Snow was such a big deal and maybe even help you guys see why it was such a huge part of my life.

1.  It was my first everything

Your first anything is always a big deal, but Snow wasn't just my first college.  It was my first time moving away from home for an extended period of time.  It was my first time having to buy groceries and cook for myself.  It was where I had my first drink.  It was my first time doing other things.  It was a place of firsts and I will always remember those things happening at Snow.

2.  I was in my prime

While at Snow, I was a different person.  I felt young, invincible, not jaded and ready to take on the world.  Moving to Salt Lake and going to the U has changed me in all the worst ways.  I've definitely become more mature and a lot more of an adult, but on the same accord I'm not very much fun anymore, I'm pretty jaded and I just want to be done with school so badly that it is a chore to go.

3.  I was actually pretty studly when it came to women

I feel like somewhere along the way my confidence was completely destroyed.  Actually, after thinking about it I know exactly where it happened and what girl was responsible, but I won't mention her by name.  But regardless, I feel like my the high-point of my love life so far was at Snow College and I have yet to even begin to compare my time at the U with my time at Snow.  My first year I had a girlfriend the entire year, second year was different girls here and there, and in my third year I met the third girl that I have actually loved.

Note:  I have only loved three women in my life, and I met two of them at Snow.

4.  We were a family.

My friends and Snow College music majors were like a family to me.  We all took care of each other.  We fought like siblings.  We hung out with each other all time.  We shared our boredom with each other, thus making it mutual boredom.  And I would say my Snow College family is among the only group of people I will probably talk to for the rest of my life.  I have made many great friends at the U, but they just didn't go through all the same experiences we did at Snow.  And even though I didn't get along with everybody at Snow or even like everybody I met there, we can still be civil and even friendly towards each other because we're family, and families stick together.

And I wish to make a special mention to my Clarinet family.  In my third year I was part of the Wind Ensemble's Clarinet section, where I pretty much served as the unofficial section leader/section dad.  It was me and 7 girls, so I took care of them, tried to save them from April's wraith and tried to help them all have a fun time at Snow.  I miss those girls and my third year would not have been nearly as fun without them.

5.  E-Town or bust

I have so many fond memories of things that we did in Ephraim.  Things such as visiting the pirate ship in someone's backyard.  Or going to either of the two pizza shops in town.  I miss the Mexican and Japanese restaurant.  I miss walking to the Mav at 2 AM with Ryan Bell.  I miss going to the Jesus Cafe.

6.  Denny's Runz!!

Nobody understands why this was fun, unless you were there.  So the basic format for a Denny's Run is to find someone with a car, because most people didn't have them at Snow, and this person has to have an unusually small car.  Then, you cram everybody you know into said car, and drive 45 minutes each way to Salina to go to Denny's.  Now, it's imperative that you go sometime after 11 PM, and it is recommended you go sometime during the school week, so that by the time you get back you only have a couple hours until class.

7.  The Weekly Card Game

This post is going to have a small tangent about my buddy Aaron Jensen.  So at first, for whatever reason, Aaron disliked me.  In my second year I kinda started dating his ex that he dated our first year, so then I got upgraded from dislike to hate.  In my third year he was hellbent on making it miserable for me, but we bonded over our mutual hatred over the same women and thus became great friends.  So anyway, Aaron started hosting a weekly poker night.  This poker night had $2 buy-in and that gave you access to all the drinks you wanted.  So I would come, pay my two bucks, usually go all-in and lose then drink the rest of the night.  It was the best of times haha.

8.  The Scott Wilson house

This house, the one where Scott Wilson used to live, became home to Aaron, his idiot but loveable brother Colin, Wes, Ryan Bell and Scott McKell.  This is where we would have the weekly card game, and where all of use would have some incredibly messed up and crazy drinking experiences.  I remember that one night where Colin, Aaron and I got so drunk that all of us passed out, Aaron drunk texted Jessica, Colin puked and I just crashed on Colin's floor.  Then the following morning those same guys came over and I made them grilled cheese sandwiches haha.  Our graduation night party was also held there, where I not only was the drunkest girl at prom but also puked for my first time.  Then, woke up at 7 AM, still drunk, and sat through graduation; which was the longest experience of my life.

9.  Roommates

I have had the good fortune to have 75% of all my roommates be totally cool.  My first year, first semester I had Kevin, Caleb and John.  Caleb would remain my roommate for the whole year.  And Kevin would become one of my best friends, and I sincerely miss that kid.  John, was the oddball and eventually would leave school for personal reasons.  I would also have Denton and Aaron later that year and both of them became dear friends to me.

My second year I had Jason, Landon and Chase and they were all totally awesome.  The following semester both Jason and Landon would leave and Dustin and Chris joined the room, and they also were totally awesome.

My third year I had Douggers, Gary and David.  David would eventually leave, for personal and other reasons and we never had a fourth roommate, which was definitely more preferable.

Anyway, I love and miss all of my roommates because they were all totally awesome people that made Snow College a much more tolerable experience, and I hope that they think as highly of me as I do of them.

10.  Miscellaneous and Awesome experiences

-Star Wars on Tour!
-Went to Reno!  Twice..
-Colorado with the Clarinets!
-St. George with the Jazz Band and Ed Majors!
-Snow College Football National Championships
-Participated in the Ward talent show haha

And I am sure there is more that I can talk about, in fact, I know there is more that I can talk about.  But I've blogged as much as I want to for today so I'm just going to leave it here.

I do want to say thanks to everyone at Snow who made my time there great: Rich Dixon, Steve Meredith, Madeline Johnson, Brent Smith, Aaron and Colin Jensen, every single of one my roommates, Josh Birch, Ryan Bell, my band family, and the girls that I loved and didn't, Douggers, Kevin Finlayson, Aaron Corbiere, Alex Newton and Hannah Orrock, Kellie Mortensen and Heidi Hill, and most importantly Vance Larsen for having the faith in me to be great and giving scholarship money to go to Snow.

As the alma mater says: "Hail to our beloved Snow."

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say that I was hell bent on making your life miserable, but there was definitely a whole bunch of disdain. But who knew out of all of that I would gain one of my best friends. Glad I could read this my friend. I understand the jaded thing and this blog really helped me today. Thank you so much for all the wonderful memories!
    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really were our unofficial dad! We all missed you after you left!

    ReplyDelete