Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Humbled by a Puzzle

If you ever want a humbling experience, I suggest you try doing a puzzle.  But not just any puzzle, a puzzle of a Tiger's face.

So on Sunday night, I asked my friend Casey to hang out.  We went through the motions of deciding what to do on a Sunday night, which incidentally is boring as hell.  She told me a story about a puzzle that she was doing of a Tiger that she labeled as the most difficult puzzle of all time..  I proceeded to tell her a story about how awesome I am at puzzles.  Challenge accepted.

So we tracked down the puzzle which was was about half way completed.  The edges were finished as well as the mouth, eyes, nose and most of the whiskers.  So initially I was thinking this is doable, we can finish this.

How wrong I was.

You see all the white and black stripes?  Yeah, apparently those are hard to differentiate one from the other.  Additionally, every piece of this puzzle looked like it would fit together.  Nonetheless, we went for it anyway.

I tried many different strategies, such as separating the different shades of orange, or all the white pieces.  None of this helped.  The only progress I made was finding SOME of the whiskers above the eyes.  Needless to say, I felt pretty lame.

Several hours passed and eventually we gave up.  Although, Casey texted me the next day to inform me that she was working on the puzzle again, determined to finish it.

Going with my recent love for the Hunger Games, may the odds be ever in her favor.  She will need them.  Because that puzzle is hard.  And it was a humbling experience for my arrogance.  Hubris as it also known.

No comments:

Post a Comment